POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd : Re: xkcd Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: xkcd
From: Warp
Date: 18 Jan 2008 09:31:30
Message: <4790b842@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
> Actually I do, and by that measure making the iPhone the invention of the
> year doesn't necessarily make it any good, or popular, or used.

  I'm not saying you are this kind of person, but I have noticed that
there are many people who, for whatever reason I cannot really comprehend,
vehemently oppose Apple and its innovations by principle.

  When I made a comment about Apple's new laptop in an IRC channel,
immediately one person jumped out with completely negative responses
about it. When I presented some innovative and cool features of that
laptop and other Apple products, he attacked each one of them ferociously
and vehemently, trying to diminish every single feature and innovation.
And mind you, this was *not* a Windows user or Microsoft fan.

  In my experience this kind of negative attitude towards Apple and most
of its products and innovations seems rather puzzling. It raises the big
question of why. The amount of opposition against Apple and its products
with these people even surpasses the amount and strength of the opposition
against Microsoft's products by the most fanatic linux advocates. Not even
the most fanatic of them care to go through Microsoft's products and point
by point crush anything that could be good or innovative about them (but
the more typical behavior is to simply bash Microsoft's products in a way
more general way).

  In my experience it's more usual that precisely *linux* people oppose
Apple more vehemently than Windows people (the latter usually have more
of an attitude like "yeah, sounds cool, but I'm not really interested",
aside from the typical myths which are no longer true).

  I just can't understand why this is. Is it bad that another company
besides Microsoft is getting some market share? Is it bad that there's
a company which really tries to make a difference, which tries to be
innovative? Is it bad that Microsoft is getting serious competition?

  I get the feeling that in some cases these people seem to think that
linux (and open source software in general) should have the exclusive
right to compete against Microsoft.

--
                                                          - Warp